I-Form is keen to inspire the next generation of manufacturing talent to join our evolving industry, to help address the growing skills shortage in advanced manufacturing. Teachers, meanwhile, are keen to learn more about new technologies, integrate them into the classroom and guide their students along their future career paths.
I-Form is working with second-level schools and teachers across Ireland to explore exciting ways to bring manufacturing into the classroom. Visit the links below to access resources and to learn more about current, past and future projects.
CPD for Technologies teachers
I-Form, in partnership with the Junior Cycle for Teachers - Technologies (JCT4) and 3DWIT, is running 'Manufacturing in the Classroom', an SFI Discover-funded project aimed at upskilling teachers in the use of 3D printing technology in the classroom.
Aside from in-person workshops held around the country, a series of videos and other resources have been developed with useful tips for teachers who want to enhance their 3D printing skills.
These resources include:
- 3D printing content bank in the Teachable.com learning platform. Access hours of video tutorials, download step-by-step guides, and watch career videos. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are a second-level teacher and would like to request access to the platform.
- Short 3D printing video guides. Topics include unboxing a printer, how to level a print bed, and how to maintain a printer. Visit the 3D printing videos section.
Read about the project background and development.
Design Thinking and 3D printing
Want to learn more about how to bring Design Thinking into the classroom, in the context of 3D printing? Download free resources created under 'Discover Manufacturing', an EIT Manufacturing project that ran in Ireland, the UK and Portugal in 2021, with project partners Stryker and I-Form in Ireland the UK; and FEUP (University of Porto) in Portugal.
- Design Thinking for 3D Printing (teacher guide)
- Design Thinking for 3D Printing PDF (student guide)
- 3D printing tips and tricks (PDF)
Shaping Your Future
Transition Year students, primary schools and teachers were engaged in a partner project between I-Form and IMR, funded by SFI Discover, in 2019 and 2020/2021. Read about Shaping Your Future.