Renishaw RenAM 500M
The Renishaw RenAM 500M is a production scale selective laser melting (SLM) metal 3D printer. The machine being used for I-Form research is dedicated to the manufacture of Titanium (TiAl6V4) components.
The machine is fitted with the Rensihaw InfinAM process monitoring equipment and the I-Form researchers are the first team outside of Renishaw to perform evaluations on the accuracy and benefits of the in-process monitoring sensors and software.
Optimised processing recipes for a range of TiAl6V4 components and structures are being developed on this Demonstrator by correlating process inputs (such as powder quality and machine settings) with process outputs (such as dimensional accuracy and porosity). In addition, the large volume of process sensor data is being used to determine if improved process monitoring and control can be achieved. Machine Learning algorithms are being implemented to look for trends in the process data that correlate with part performance. Through the use of novel data analytics techniques, opportunities to improve in-process real-time monitoring and control are being explored.
Fast Facts for Renishaw RenAM 500M
Development of Titantium (TiAl6V4) components for medical device and aerospace sectors using metal SLM technology.
- To fully understand and characterise process and product parameters so that repeatability and consistency of additive manufacturing of a TiAl6V4 product can be proven.
- To develop knowledge regarding the value of in-situ monitoring for process control of metal SLM, leading to reduced end-to-end cost structure.
- Utilise a high-end production metal AM print system with advanced process monitoring tools, dedicated to TiAl6V4 material.
- Conduct characterisation and experiments, partnering with industry to advance the knowledge of AM with TiAl6V4.
- Develop understanding of process/product/ performance correlations down to microstructure level with a view to improving efficiency of processing, post-processing and inspection steps.
- Generate process/materials knowledge libraries to accelerate new product and process development times.
- Laser: Single 500 W laser, Ø = 75 μm (1/e2), Dynamic focusing system
- Build Volume: 250 mm × 250 mm × 350 mm
- Unique Features
InfiniAM Process Monitoring System
High precision part processing, powder layers of 20 to 100 um